A lot of people have misconceptions, that the bed bugs are the thing associated with the past and there is no such thing like that associated with the bedding set anymore. But, in reality, they are still there and stronger than ever before. The decrease in the use of pesticides and the increased travel has caused the stronger return of the bed bugs.
The majority of the pest controllers operating in different parts of the world report that they receive frequent phone calls about the problem of the bed bugs. It is very unfortunate to find out that many hotels are compromising the quality and the standards by becoming infested. People on the travel using hotels get bitten by the bed bugs and at worst; they carry this trouble to their homes where the bed bugs are multiplied. There are a number of things that you can do which we will find out in the next sections to come.
The preventive measures that you can take to avoid the bed bugs:
The first and foremost advice is always to take preventive measures in order to ensure that there is no possibility of the triggering of the bed bug issue in your mattress or topper. If you are taking the preventive measures, then the chances would be least for getting your topper infected from the bed bugs which comes with people from outside your house. The following are a couple of things which you can do to prevent the bed bugs issue:
- Just like you would cover your mattress with a bed sheet with your pillow and a pillow case, you must cover the mattress topper too with a nice clean cover. The cleanliness of the cover must be ensured and the thing should be taken for a regular wash.
- The bed bugs usually spread through the air ducts and other small openings so there must be a regular pest control ensured to be taken regularly. Such a practice would be helpful in avoiding the pests to enter to your mattress topper.
If you are travelling then the following are the things which you must ensure:
- Make sure that you always use the luggage rack for placing your luggage. The luggage must never be placed over the carpet or the bed.
- Make sure that you check your hotel bed for any signs of bed bugs by inspecting the mattress and the toppers at their corner.
- Wash your clothes in hot water immediately after coming home if you suspect the presence of the bed bugs.
How to treat the bed bug issues:
If the problem has occurred of the bed bugs despite taking the preventive measures, then you can do the following:
- Tossing of the mattress is not a solution and the problem can severely trigger.
- Vacuum the topper and the mattress thoroughly and promptly dispose the vacuum bag in a sealed container.
- Always ensure that your exterminator is not using bait, but the old fashion bug spray. The bed bugs are the blood feeders and bait doesn’t work for them.
Be sure to teat your mattress topper thoroughly to remove any bugs that are there. You can either use a spray yourself or ask for help from the professional teams.